If you are considering restoring a camper don’t underestimate the enormous commitment to all the details. Hopefully you’ll be able to start with a RV that is a little cleaner and better maintained than “Stanley”. If you aren’t so lucky then you may want to add these tasks to your never-ending checklist.
Shore power cover
Coax cable receptacles
I painted the frame and bumper, installed new bulbs in taillights, and sealed with silicone.
The handrail at entrance was not installed properly. I had to remove and reinstall ½” to the left in order to attach to an aluminum wall joist. Sad thing is, this was likely done at a dealer.
I had to remove the water heater to replace the element. I found several dust-pan scoops of rat feces. It was so gross but glad I was able to completely clean it. The broken heating element was caused by someone turning on the water heater without water in the tank. The result was a “hot-skin” condition. If you touched the frame or any metal in the trailer while grounded it would give you a pretty good shock, probably about 50-75 volts.
I removed the battery box, LP bottles and mount also stripped and cleaned the trailer tongue to stop rust and prepare for a fresh coat of paint.
The trailer got a new full size fire extinguisher next to entry door inside lower cabinet.
All emergency exit latches were broken. I ordered and installed all new emergency exit handles. They had to be modified because they weren’t the proper length.
New gutters on all four corners to help shed water away from seams.